Rapid-I is -- just like Red Hat and Ingres, the two biggest open source companies worldwide -- a 100% true open source vendor. This differentiates Rapid-I from many other vendors like Talend, Pentaho, Jaspersoft, KNIME among many others who only provide an "open core" system. This open core approach means that only a teaser of the product is available for free released under an open source license, but the main product must be licensed just like any other proprietary software around.
We at Rapid-I do not believe in this business model and prefer our clean licensing strategy which is also much easier to communicate to our customers and which is the only way which truly helps our customers to prevent the so-called vendor lock-in. Today, Rapid-I has already more than 200 customers world-wide who prefer our solution exactly for this fairness and the quality of the software and our service. These are the reasons why our customers renew their service subscriptions -- and not a license fee for a "so-called" open source solution!
Following this idea, the difference between the Enterprise Edition and the Community Edition is not found on the level of product features but with respect to reliability and productivity. As you have pointed out, there are many service offerings our Enterprise Customers can rely on:http://rapid-i.com/content/view/181/190/
The table on this web site already points out many important points for professional enterprise use:
- legal aspects like intellectual property indemnification and warranty for services - believe me, you do not want to get in trouble just because of bad licensing issues of a so-called open source vendor!
- many additional guarantees including those for bugfixes which are clearly not given for the users of the Community Edition
- a proper service level agreement including an unlimited number of incidents with guaranteed response times
- an already included amount of consulting for free as well as reduced rates for additional consulting services
- the complete software maintenance including managed and certified release cycles etc.
Beside those points - which already guarantee a much more reliable and much more productive work with RapidMiner - our Enterprise Customers get also full access to additional documentation, video material, additional on-line tutorials, and a free in-house course or a certain amount of webinars provided by the
experts when it comes to data mining with RapidMiner - namely by us here at Rapid-I.
In short: our Enterprise Customers get the full package which makes the difference between "oh-I-am-just-trying-out-this-cool-software-for-free" and "I-intend-to-use-this-in-a-productive-setting". No idea how you feel about this but personally I always prefer a more productive work and working with a partner I can rely on over spending lots of time in the creation of workarounds and finding the right function for the problem at hand.
Hope that helps and I would be happy to welcome you as a new user of the Enterprise Edition soon,